Just getting started at the gym?
This plan will help you strategically navigate the fitness center floor so you can target four crucial types of exercise:
Your goal: Increase your breathing and heart rate with aerobic activity.
- Treadmills: Try walking briskly on a comfortable incline or lightly jogging.
- Stationary bikes: Pedal while maintaining a steady but increased heart rate.
- Other endurance equipment includes:
- Rowing machines
Your goal: Make your muscles stronger by lifting weights.
- Free weights: Also known as dumbbells, free weights require more muscular stability than a weight machine. Start with two light weights as you practice bicep curls, shoulder presses, and tricep extensions.
- Mats: Try working against your own body weight with lunges or squats. You may also use a stability ball, which can help with core exercises.
Your goal: Improve your balance to prevent falls, which is a common risk for older adults.
- Mats: Practice standing on one foot, then the other. Or try holding a side plank for 15 seconds on each side.
Your goal: Stretch your muscles to give you more freedom of movement.
- Mats: You can stretch all areas of your body
If you are unsure about how to properly use a machine or perform a particular exercise, ask a HCM Wellness Center team member!
The Hill Country Memorial Wellness Center offers a full array of services to help members live happier, healthier lives. To learn more about the wellness center and classes click the following link: https://www.hillcountrymemorial.org/services/wellness-center/